I did a Build Your Own Best Of (BYOBO) for The Stones way back for My Thermos but I decided that instead of reposting I am going to redo it with fresh ears. I don’t anticipate it changing drastically but it seems like a good exercise.
The idea – Pick one of your favorite bands / artists and list 10-15 songs by that band / artist to compile your own best of compilation.
So here goes – The Best of The Rolling Stones as compiled by me:
- “2000 Light Years From Home” – Their Satanic Majesties Request
- “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” – Sticky Fingers
- “Dead Flowers” – Sticky Fingers
- “Gimme Shelter” – Let It Bleed
- “Hand of Fate” – Black And Blue
- “Love In Vain” – Let It Bleed
- “Loving Cup” – Exile On Main Street
- “Monkey Man” – Let It Bleed
- “Moonlight Mile” – Sticky Fingers
- “No Expectations” – Beggars Banquet
- “Shine A Light” – Exile On Main Street
- “Sweet Virginia” – Exile On Main Street
- “Tops” – Tattoo You
- “Tumbling Dice” – Exile on Main Street
- “Worried About You” – Tattoo You
Admittedly some of these go a bit deep and nearly all are from the classic ’69-’72 era which signals the last of Brian Jones and the addition of Mick Taylor. I’m really not much of a fan of the earlier stuff and while I like a bit of Tattoo You I find most of the 80’s and on stuff mostly forgettable. Even a stand out track like “Almost Hear You Sigh” from Steel Wheels pales in comparison for me to the fire of the early Mick Taylor era.
I’m sure a lot of you will find some notable omissions. While you’ll find that nearly all of my choices appear in Rolling Stone Mag’s 100 Greatest Rolling Stones Songs as presented over on Cultural Offering but I doubt that if pressed to narrow down to 15 they would choose these as the ones to make the cut.
Agree with me? Think I’m an idiot? Go ahead and share in the comments – we’ll talk.